Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Summer Slowdown

You start a conversation you can't even finish it
You're talking a lot, but you're not saying anything
When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
Say something once, why say it again?

Talking Heads


I see that as compared to 31 posts in January, I have eked out only 11 so far in May. This shouldn't surprise me--the light and life of impending summer always suppress the urge to write, just as they suppress melatonin. If I were to move to the tropics, a transition devoutly to be wished, the inclination to write might wither away altogether. Summer for me is for movement, love, and music, not so much for the logos.

So to my three (or is it four?) consistent readers, thank you for following. The blog is not ending, just entering a period of languor, to be furthered only when what passes for inspiration in my case strikes. As the pessimist says to himself when passing through a period of prosperity, this too shall pass.

2 comments:

Will said...

According to Google, you have 56 syndicate subscribers as of today.

Retriever said...

How did you look that up, William? I am interested to see if I have more readers than my faithful three or four commenters....

Not to be self-absorbed, tho, Novalis your blog is just great and I am quite green with envy sometimes at how much you say with few words. I particularly enjoy the way you relate literature to your work, and the human sufferings and comedy you observe there. Of course it would be good if you had the time or inclination to keep writing at a January rate, but better to have a life....

Dr Bob http://docisinblog.com/ writes wonderful pieces,probably more conservative that you might ordinarily seek out but highly recommended, sometimes only once a week or every two weeks, but (like you) better occasional worthwhile posts than mindless drivel 24/7.