Monday, September 20, 2010

America's Most Wanted (Doctors)

The dogs may bark, but the caravan moves on. Just when I had carried my graduate school application to the mailbox (do they still accept paper?)--I heard the market for Wallace Stevens studies is strong--I see that, according to an update in Psychiatric Times, I may not want to give up my day job quite yet.

It is striking that as many critics deride the profession and its tools, its real-world prospects grow apace. Indeed, the treatment of children, now most controversial, is precisely where the best jobs are. Why I wonder? Pharmaceutical behemoths stoking demand? Post-imperial, recessionary American malaise? Perhaps it is also related to the increasing pressure on primary care doctors, who just can't handle the huddled masses of the unhappy.

1 comment:

Retriever said...
This comment has been removed by the author.